Welcome to NTU Chemistry Department

About the Chemistry Department


Brief History

The history of our Chemistry Department began in 1928, when Taihoku Imperial University was established by the Japanese government. Ever since it was established the Department has carried out the tradition of excellence in maintaining high-quality teaching and in pursuing vigorous research programs. In the first place, the Department was part of the College of Science and Agriculture. The first three faculty chairs were in the fields of theoretical/inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics. In 1937, a fourth faculty chair in inorganic chemistry/analytical chemistry was added. The College of Science and Agriculture evolved into two colleges in 1943, with the Chemistry Department joining the College of Science. In 1945, the fifth faculty chair in organic chemistry was installed. During 1928-1945, five students were admitted to the Department each year, and a total of 72 bachelor degrees and 3 doctoral degrees were awarded.

After World War II, the University was renamed National Taiwan University. Subsequently, the Graduate Institute of Chemistry that offered a M.S. curriculum was founded in 1956. A period of expansion ensued. In 1959, the Department moved into a new building, which was situated close to the center of the campus. The Ph.D. program was then initiated, with the first Ph.D. degree awarded in 1972. Under the auspices of the National Science Council and with the cooperation of National Tsing Hua University and Academia Sinica, the Chemistry Research Promotion Center was established at NTU in 1965. It solidifies the Department’s central role in chemical research in Taiwan. In 1972, biochemistry professors from our department founded the Biochemical Research Institute on the NTU campus.

Our researchers have access to world-class facilities that help them solve critical problems. The NSC Regional Advanced Instrument Center was established at NTU in 1981. Several sophisticated research instruments of the Center, including high-field NMR, TEM, ESCA, Auger, MASS, Elemental analyzer and X-ray diffractometers, are housed in our Department and have helped the advanced chemical research in Northern Taiwan. Student laboratory space was increased by the completion of Shih-Liang Hall in 1984.

Wing A of the New Chemistry Building was completed at the end of 2004, and the Department moved to the building in Summer 2005. Located next to Drunken Moon Lake, Wing B, the New Chemistry Research Building (also known as the Integrated Chemistry Building) was completed in November 2009. This new building offers a total area of 16,200 m2 for research and teaching purposes. Moreover, it symbolizes our determination of achieving continuous excellence in research, in cultivating students, and in taking on the challenges of a new era.

The Chemistry Department has won recognition in academic circles for many years. In November 2003, the NSC announced that our Department was ranked first for the most funding granted to universities in the last decade. In addition, the Department was one of the finest in the Department Performance Review held by the Chemical Society in 2005, receiving A+ in three categories (faculty, research, and administrative support).

Our faculty members have expanded research fields into Chemical Biology in recent years. As a result, our graduate program is now comprised of both areas in Chemistry and Biological Chemistry, which has started to offer admission since 2007. In addition, the M.S. and Ph.D. Programs of the Department have been open to international Students since 2009.

Teaching & Research

In the quest of academic excellence, the Department is dedicated to providing the best quality and up-to-date education for our students. At present, the Department has 33 academic staff members, 11 adjunct professors, and 6 distinguished research professors. Each faculty member is in charge of a research program, which is open to all chemistry students. The faculty currently supervises around 160 Ph.D. candidates, 170 M.S. students, and 290 undergraduate chemistry majors. The undergraduate laboratory courses and administrative work are mostly operated by 16 teaching assistants and around 30 staff members.

Since 2000, the undergraduate curriculum has been reformed in order to place students at the forefront of inquiry into chemistry while maintaining a high standard of teaching. Key content of core chemistry courses on general, organic, analytical, and physical chemistry are designed specifically for freshman, sophomores, and juniors. To provide the breadth of contemporary chemistry-related knowledge, academically rigorous courses in chemical biology and nanomaterials have also been incorporated into our curriculum. With a thought-provoking environment dedicated to critical and creative thinking, our graduates are well equipped and expected to make a contribution to chemistry.

Traditional laboratory classes have been integrated into six interdisciplinary areas, in which undergraduates apply their classroom knowledge towards problem solving. The lab facilities were upgraded on a large scale in 2005.

Our faculty members also offer various elective courses in their own specialties. These courses are arranged to bridge our junior students to interdisciplinary scientific research on various topics. Senior students are encouraged to participate in undergraduate research to gain research experience.

Recently, we are focusing on multimedia teaching through computers and networks. Our homepage allows students to access teaching videos about laboratory techniques, chemical safety education, basic principles of the practical courses, and instrumentation.

Our faculty members also offer service courses for other departments of the University, in the capacity of nearly 5,000 students each year. To promote chemistry in Taiwan, our faculty members actively participate in the establishment of high school chemistry programs as well as various science education activities. The Website of the High School Educational Construction Network was established to provide interactive communication to students of all levels.

At the Department of Chemistry, our passions are broad and far-reaching. The time-honored tradition of excellence in research continues to this day. Research programs carried out by our researchers are also well funded by extramural sources. Our faculty members’ research interests cover a broad range of topics, which include organic chemistry, organometallic chemistry, photochemistry, natural product chemistry, radical chemistry, organosilicon chemistry, medicinal chemistry, physical organic chemistry, organic conductors and light emitting materials, coordination chemistry, homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis, surface chemistry, X-ray crystallography, high temperature superconducting materials, molecular wires, gas kinetics and dynamics, statistical thermodynamics, nuclear magnetic resonance and molecular spectroscopy, electrochemistry, microanalysis, chromatography, materials and surface analysis, mass spectrometry, laser chemistry, biosensors, protein and enzyme chemistry, nanochemistry, molecular electronics, supramolecular chemistry, and femtosecond spectroscopy.

Several of our faculty members have received the world’s top awards and distinguished international recognition. Many of them play active roles in the editorial boards of first-rate international journals. The Department publishes a total of over 200 SCI papers per year in national and international journals. Moreover, our faculty members collaborate actively with researchers and scientists in the Ministry of Economics Affairs, the Ministry of National Defense, the Department of Health, and private enterprises to promote the technologies developed in our programs so that our research may better benefit the society.

Weekly seminar sessions provide our faculty members and students with the most advanced knowledge available. World-renowned chemistry scholars are also invited to the University to give speeches on their research.

Top
Department of Chemistry, National Taiwan University
Address: No. 1, Sec. 4, Roosevelt Road, Taipei, 10617 Taiwan(R.O.C.) Phone: +886-2-3366-1138~41 Fax: +886-2-3366-8671
Recommended resolution: 1024 * 768 Recommended browser: IE8+, Chrome